An American Indian History Quiz
1. Who was President when the Indian Removal Act of 1830 was passed?
2. Why did the US government establish Indian reservations?
3. How many treaties has the US government made with the American Indians?
4. What state has the most American Indian population?
5. What are the top 5 cities with a sizable American Indian population?
Come visit our site tomorrow and the answers will be posted.
As promised here are the answers:
1. Andrew Jackson
2. The government's objective was to rid the country of its "Indian problem" and open land for white settlers.
3. Over 500 treaties have been made; over 500 treaties have been broken. In 1980 the Sioux Nation took the US government to the Supreme Court for violating the Fort Laramie Treaty in which the US acknowledged the Black Hills as the Sioux Homeland and won. Instead of returning the land the Government offered a cash settlement. The Sioux refused and the cash is still sitting in Escrow today.
4. California - per 2010 census
5. New York, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Oklahoma City and Anchorage
American Indians Committee Chair